Monday, January 19, 2015

A Rumble and a Scream: Getting Sick in Honduras - part 1 (30th April 2014 - Honduras)

30th Abril, 2014   
6:52am
Plans for today include supervising the landfill leachate collection installation and making and installing the gabion baskets.

8:00 am
How is it this for facts of life?…I ate breakfast, which was great, as all of the meals have been thus far, I went to my room to wash up and as I was brushing my teeth, I got that feeling in my gut…the one that is a cross between a rumble and a scream….the one that is telling you that you need the toilet and NOW!!!
Luckily, I was in my bathroom and could relieve myself almost as quickly as the feeling had come on…I don’t feel really sick, just not 100%.  I took some Pepto as a pre-caution, as we have a lot to do today and we split up into 3-person teams, so each member's contribution is vital to the sub-groups.  Another member of my team is also feeling sick, so that could pose some problems on our team.  Luckily I am on the gabion basket team, which is working at Cocepradil, so there will be a bathroom readily available, along with my bed…and other clothes – if it gets to that.  :/
Well, gotta go engineer and stuff…
                                                                JLC
10:01am
We were waiting for an hour, but Orlando didn’t come, so we decided to go to the hardware store to buy some work gloves and to fix Gus’s shoe (which Victor offered some super glue the other day to fix it).  On the way out we ran into Orlando, I think that the materials just arrived later than expected, so Nick went with Orlando, while Jimmy and I went to the hardware store to get some Gatorade to replenish lost electrolytes. 

It was nice to walk through town a bit, and get a better feel for what everyday life is like here.  We heard children from the elementary school doing some kind of recitations and of course, saw other people going about their day, carrying split tires or riding donkeys with loads on the sides of the donkey’s belly.  People have all been very kind to us, staring a bit at first, and then when we smile and say “hola”, or “Buenos dia”, they reflect the emotion. At Cocepradil, when we are in the front waiting, people will typically come and say hello and shake our hands. I do not know who around town all knows who we are, or why we are here, I know some do, but it is very nice of everyone to greet us so kindly.
Donkey  (or horse?) with loads on sides


The landfill project isn’t moving as planned, the operator has yet to arrive and was supposed to be there an hour ago…gotta go…workers are here. 
                                                                                                                JLC






View towards town from Cocepradil

No comments:

Post a Comment